Tuesday 6 August 2024

St Gabriel's Chapel • Stanton


This was probably one of my favourite walks of this trip. I was only out a couple of hours, but I got to see some of the best scenery on the South West Coast Path.



I parked at Langdon Hill car park, which is owned by the National Trust. There's a ticket machine at the top where you pay or scan your membership card. There's also bins here, but no other facilities.

It's a circular route and way marked, so you can't really get lost. Start by following the signs to Golden Cap.

It's a well trodden route, but there is loose rocks and it's quite steep in a few short sections, so I'd suggest wearing decent boots.


I passed a few good places where I could've had my coffee, but decided to get to the viewpoint at the top, where I had open views of the surrounding coastline. 

The maps show a lot of alternative routes, so you could definitely be out longer than I was.

I followed the signs to St Gabriel's Chapel, a little ruin that used to serve the medieval village of Stanton. 

Just a house remains there in the village now, but the information boards give an idea of the place before it vanished. With paths leading up from the beaches below, it's easy to see how the disused church became a store for smuggled goods! 

The walk back to the car from there takes in the best of the Dorset countryside, so don't forget to stop and look around from time to time! 

Watch the Coffee Walk video on YouTube HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment